Many people wonder why hiring a house painting company in San Francisco costs a lot more than just tackling the job themselves.
The truth is that there are many factors that comprise the real cost of painting a house.
When you do it yourself, you only have to pay for materials, while if you hire a house painting company, additional normal business expenses, and a profit, are covered in the price you pay.
The real question is: Is hiring a professional painting company to do the job instead of tackling it yourself really worth it?
The majority of people will confirm that IT IS… but why?
- Valuable knowledge Professional San Francisco house painters have the expertise to spot and prevent potential problems before the work even starts, saving you a lot of money, while DIY projects involve a lot of trial and error because of the lack of experience. San Francisco painting companies have “been there, done that” hundreds of times.
- Capacity Experience lets professional house painters prepare fully for the kind of job they are going to do, face the work with ease, and clean up afterwards a lot faster, easier, and with better results than the homeowner would.
- Equipment Experienced house painters have all the tools necessary to complete a job, and since they need and use them regularly, they most probably own the best tools and equipment out there.
- Tips Through experience, the best San Francisco house painters have learned which drywall compounds, primers, and paints work best depending on the surface, and they also know which green brands are the best. Homeowners normally try to save money and thus, buy low-quality products, which often leads to a great deal of frustration. In order to help you put things into perspective, following is a general recount of a house painting company’s expenses:
- Materials. The cost of materials can add up to 1/3 of a project’s total cost. House painting costs include the paint and other supplies, which normally include:
- Sandpaper and sanding discs
- Patching compounds
- Tape, paper, plastic, etc.
- Applicators; brushes, rollers, sprayers
- Incidentals. If there are damaged walls, special finishes, or special working conditions, the painters may need additional materials and the costs go up.
- Operating costs. Besides the materials, San Francisco house painters have expenses that must be covered through project fees:
- Genuine San Francisco house painters are bonded and insured, which is good because homeowners are protected against damages and uncompleted projects.
- Business licensing, certifications, and memberships with trade associations and consumer protection agencies cost money, but these ensure you are paying for the best of the best.
- House painting business owners have to pay for their own income and Social Security taxes, and depending on the business’s location, the company must also pay state, municipal and/or federal taxes.
- The company has to pay work comp., employee benefits, and wages. Administrative tasks may either be handled from the inside or by an outside agency, and subcontractors’ fees are also a part of the cost.
- Fuel, maintenance, and repair of vehicles and other equipment, are also included.
- Profit. Just as any other business, house-painting companies must earn a profit to survive, and in reality, this profit is a small fraction of the total price.
Hiring a professional, no matter the field, is costly, but it is certainly worth it in terms of expectations, results and peace of mind.
Now that you understand where your money goes, when you choose to hire a house painter instead of tackling a DIY project, you certainly want to get the best for your money.
So, when you select a contractor, do not just choose the least expensive one… you should truly analyze what kind of job you need to select the one that you know will give you results you love.
MB Jessee is located in Oakland CA, just minutes away from the Oakland Bay Bridge, has been actively serving the Bay area since 1995.
Most of our painting projects are located in and around the Downtown areas: Piedmont, Pacific Heights and East Bay; however, we are not afraid to travel a bit to serve new and promising clients.
Our team of professional painters is trained to work on single-family homes, custom homes, high-rise condos and high-end commercial buildings, and in every case, at MB Jessee we are committed, and promise you, the highest quality paint job.
We are excited to work with businesses and homeowners who want an experience similar to shopping at Nordstrom. That does not mean you pay the highest price for a paint job, it means you get the treatment you deserve and your home gets the high-quality job it needs.
We offer you a free consultation to assess your home’s condition and to confirm if it is in need of our services, among which are:
- Interior painting
- Complete exteriors
- Custom color experts
- Unique wood stains
- Decorative finishes
- Residential and commercial painting
- High-rise and condo painting
So, if you are the type of person who appreciates very high quality work and wants a company you can trust, call us at (510) 655-7000 to discuss your project. We proudly serve the following areas: Contra Costa, Oakland Hills, Berkeley, Alamo, Piedmont, Danville, Hillsborough, Marin, Pacific Heights and Presidio Heights.