You understand the inherent environmental risks that a home makeover poses today, and so does MB Jessee.
Here are 6 questions we get asked when talking about green painting and our painting processes:
- What is green painting? Green painting is an area of expertise within the house or business painting industry that employs eco-friendly paints, other materials, and practices that pose very little negative impact on the environment. Green painting has nothing to do with the color, and has everything to do with the paint that contains little or none of the harmful chemicals found in conventional paints, stains, and wood finishing coats such as enamels and varnishes. It also encompasses eco-friendly painting business practices, such as the most environmentally friendly ways to dispose of materials, use of an eco-friendly fleet of vehicles, encouragement of group commuting, donation of leftover paint to charity, recycling in the office, and the practice of always recommending the least polluting paint alternative without sacrificing quality.
- What’s wrong with traditional paint? Traditional paints and finishes release low-level toxic emissions into the air for years after their application. These toxins come from various solvents called Volatile Organic Compounds, which until not very long ago were vital to create quality paint. VOCs release gases that can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, and eye, throat, and lung irritation, during and after painting.
- What are the benefits of using eco-friendly paints? The benefits are numerous; among the most important are:
- Coating flexibility
- Better gloss retention
- Better face resistance
- Reduced health risks
- Little or no VOCs
- Less pollution
- Low odor
- Easier clean-up
- Safer environment
- Reduced waste
- Improved durability
- What exactly are VOCs? When you paint a wall or other surface, the paint takes a few hours to dry. As the paint dries, and for many years afterwards, it releases gases from its liquid form. These harmful gases emitted by the paint as it dries are called VOCs. Among the VOCs we can name: benzene, toluene, naphthalene, and formaldehyde. Their function is to improve the paint’s capacity to spread, and to act as biocides and fungicides. However, in rooms without proper ventilation, these gases can harm human lungs and other organs over time. For example, the exposure to formaldehyde can cause eye watering and burning sensations in eyes, nose, and throat. It can also produce chest tightness and panting, and has been classified by EPA as a possible carcinogen. Today, the highest quality paints dry while releasing very low amounts of VOCs, ensuring people’s safety and comfort.
- Are eco-friendly paints more expensive? No, they aren’t. Due to the ever-increasing demand for healthier painting alternatives, the prices have now equaled to those of traditional paints.
- Are eco-friendly paints of lesser quality? Absolutely not; in fact, Consumer Reports has released an assessment of 57 interior paints currently on the market, including those with low or no VOCs, which were evaluated for hiding performance, surface smoothness, resistance to staining and scrubbing, gloss change, sticking, mildew, and fading, and some eco-friendly brands ranked among the first three places.
MB Jessee has always placed a high priority on corporate responsibility, and started looking closely at how we were doing business and its impact on the environment.
We acknowledge the dangers of some of the products used in the painting industry, and have studied ways to update our painting practices and become more conscious of the world we live in. We have identified where our greatest environmental impacts come from, and are constantly taking steps to reduce the negative impact our business has on the environment. We are dedicated to learning, understanding, and implementing new products and techniques that will be safer for the environment and your family.
- To take responsibility
- To never question our customers
- To care for your home or business
- To always do the right thing
We offer interior painting, complete exteriors, custom color experts, unique wood stains, decorative finishes, and residential and commercial painting services with a high level of professionalism.
Being an environmentally responsible company takes time, dedication, and the participation of employees and customers alike. In today's world, it is a concept that is far too important to overlook, and to be honest… it has been an amazing ride!
We welcome you to contact us to learn more about our eco-friendly painting services.