Join the Green Party
Thank goodness the June Gloom has finally given way to a beautiful Bay Area Summer - fluffy clouds, blue skies and warm California sunshine.
According to the Clean Air Council, Americans toss out enough paper and plastic cups, forks, and spoons to circle the equator 300 times each year – That’s the bad news. The good news is that with a bit of creativity and a little know-how, you can throw a fun, festive affair without it taking a major toll on the environment.
In fact, hosting an eco-friendly summer soiree gets easier all the time. Being environmentally conscious does not have to be about sacrifice. From organic vodka to natural party favors, there are plenty of beautiful options and more are available each day.
5 steps to your Green Fling:
1. Skip the paper invitations. E-vites are a must.
2. Toast the occasion. Treat your guests to organic wines and spirits. Organic provides the fun without the pesticides and chemical fertilizers. A few suggestions: Wine – Sinskey, Sincerity, Bonterra and Vodka – Square One, 350 and Rain.
3. The menu. When planning what to serve cconsider the emissions caused by food that is shipped and trucked around the country. Your local market may have an aisle with local organic vendors, if not visit your local farmers market, organic farm or “mom and pop shop”. By doing this you are reducing harmful emissions.
4. Set the mood. The décor should be sustainable, festive, natural and simple. Pick colors based on the outdoors, greens and earthy colors are always a nice combination. Add a splash of color with fresh flowers and plants from the garden. Hanging lanterns are a wonderful way to provide soft light. Huge umbrellas are a must to set a cozy mood. And don’t forget the music for a friendly ambiance.
5. Dinnerware. Choose natural bamboo dinnerware, it’s made from pressed bamboo it is biodegradable. Colorful tubs filled with ice for canned drinks. Swap out the plastic water bottles for glass pitchers of ice, water and a sliced fruit.
6. Favor your guests. Send your guests away with a perfectly green memento. Offer them something long lasting like a small potted organic plant, soy or bees wax candle or a fair trade and organic chocolate.
With the sun being the inspiration, move all leisure time outdoors. Summer is all about the great outdoor activities like swimming, golfing, hiking, camping, croquet, gardening, bike riding and even dancing will do. It’s likely we can come up with more ideas for outdoor entertaining than summer allows time to actually enjoy. So, let’s limit our sizzling summer itinerary to only what’s glamorous and of course, what’s green. With that in mind, let’s throw a party!
Sr. Managing Director
MB Jessee Painting
Certified Green Contractor